Pemba Press Club (PPC) was established in 2002 and registered under society Act. 6 of 1995 registered in January 2002 with registration number 210. Since its inception, Pemba Press Club (PPC) has been doing an ad hoc planning and implementation of the activities that mostly focused on development of its members and the whole communities.
The establishment of this organization occurred when Journalists and Media Workers in Pemba realized problems facing them such as harassment, denial of information etc and Community at large regarding freedom of expression that stimulates the community development initiatives.
PPC as important stakeholder in information sector realized the needs and believe that all citizens have the right of getting and providing information as the basic principle human rights. As the people who deal with media, PPC believe that they have the basic rights to promote and maintain the freedom of press.
PPC was established with only 23 members and since then the PPC membership has been increased to now reach 65 members with 32% female members
On governance side of PPC the executive committee to a large extent has been involved in all decision making and to a certain extent do the implementation of the program activities
Vision of PPC
Skilled, committed and audacious journalist for educated community
Mission of PPC
PPC intends to build the capacity of the Pemba journalist and media people to better serve the community through lobbying and advocating for positive participatory development, freedom of information and expression
Objectives of PPC
- Improved organization capacity of Pemba Press club through recruitment of key program staff, provision of the training to the members and leaders, procurement of equipments and acquisition of permanent staff.
- Increased awareness of the people in Pemba Island on the role of media to the participatory development through access to information by enabling them to provide and receive information without any constrain.
- Lobbying and advocating for media policy that will enable the journalist to collect receive and broadcast any kind of information to the people without any constrain and advocate for attitudinal change among the community and government officials on freedom of press and expression.
- Building Capacity of Journalist to better serve the community through Media and training
- To see Pemba people are better informed, educated on their rights and therefore be accountable of their rights and development
- To advocate for gender responsiveness in Pemba community
- To Networks and collaborate with other organizations and associations national, regional and international
Journalists, Media Workers and the Whole Pemba Community
Main Areas of Implementation.
PPC engages in the following main areas in the implementation of its activities.
- Advocacy and Lobbying.
- Awareness creation/ education
- Mobilization and Empowerment
PPC Organizational Structure.
PPC as many local NGOs operates purely on voluntary basis. Structurally PPC has the following key organs:-
- General Meeting
- Executive Committee
- Board of Trustees
- PPC sub committees/departments
The general Assembly of PPC is composed all members of the Association., and has power to overrule any decision of the Executive Committee concerning policy, budget and election by passing a resolution supported by simple majority of the members of the meeting.
The Executive committee of the Association comprises the following members:-
- Vice Chairperson
- Deputy Secretary
- Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer, and
- Other five members elected by the General Assembly from among members of the Association, three them should be female.
PPC exists to fulfill first and for most that people are enjoying the freedom of information and expression as their constitutional right and therefore they are eager to see that people, journalist and other media people are taking the leading role on receiving and providing information to Pemba community that will lead them in effectively participating in the development process. Their long term dream to see that through skilled and audacious journalist Pemba people are better informed, educated on their rights and therefore be accountable of their rights and development.